MDANTSANE- Former two-weight world boxing champion Zolani ‘Last Born’ Tete was shot and killed outside his home in Mdantsane on Friday evening.
According to reports, Tete was arriving at his residence in Mdantsane when two armed suspects wearing balaclavas reportedly emerged from a vehicle and opened fire on him and a 27-year-old woman who was travelling with him.
According to Eastern Cape Department of Community Safety, Tete attempted to escape the attack by driving his vehicle into the yard. He sustained multiple gunshot wounds and was declared dead at the scene.

The woman was also wounded in the shooting and was rushed to a nearby hospital, where she remains under medical care.Police have opened a murder investigation.
No arrests had been made at the time of the statements, while the motive for the killing remained unknown.
Eastern Cape Community Safety MEC Xolile Nqatha condemned the killing, describing it as a brutal attack that had robbed the province of one of its celebrated sporting figures.
Nqatha extended his condolences to Tete’s family, friends and the boxing fraternity while wishing the injured woman a speedy recovery.
He said police would work to identify and apprehend those responsible and appealed to members of the community with information about the shooting to assist investigators.
Eastern Cape Premier Lubabalo Oscar Mabuyane also expressed shock at the death of the former champion, describing Tete as one of the province’s finest sporting sons.
“Tonight, the Eastern Cape lost one of its finest sporting sons,” Mabuyane said, highlighting Tete’s journey from the boxing gyms and streets of Mdantsane to the highest levels of international boxing.
Tete held world titles in two weight divisions and became one of the prominent fighters to emerge from Mdantsane, a community with a long and celebrated boxing tradition.
Mabuyane said Tete’s success had inspired young people by showing that children from township communities could overcome difficult circumstances and compete on the world stage.
He condemned the use of illegal firearms and violent crime, saying the circumstances surrounding Tete’s death were “heartbreaking and deeply disturbing”.
The premier called on law-enforcement agencies to leave no stone unturned in the investigation and urged anyone with information to cooperate with police.
Furthermore, Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality Executive Mayor Cllr. Princess Faku said the municipality was devastated by the death of the Mdantsane-born champion.Faku described Tete as a symbol of determination, discipline, resilience and excellence who had carried the name of Buffalo City onto the international sporting stage.

She said his achievements had inspired a generation of young people and that his contribution to boxing would remain part of Buffalo City’s sporting history.
“As a city, we condemn this senseless violence,” Faku said, calling for those responsible to be brought to justice.
Tete was a former IBF junior-bantamweight and WBO bantamweight world champion.
His career made him one of the most prominent boxers produced by Mdantsane and the Eastern Cape.
His death has prompted an outpouring of condolences from provincial and municipal leaders, with tributes focusing on his sporting achievements and his impact on young people in the province.
The investigation into his killing continues.
Lala ngoxolo, Champion.
Photograph: Supplied













Leave a Reply